Monday, November 19, 2007

Stuffy and Cranky

I started back at Corporate last week. It was not nearly as nausiating as I thought it would be. Everyone was very happy to see me and the group seems pretty relaxed. Of course, I am not getting slammed with work quite yet, so we'll see how long it lasts. My typical luck; first week back, I got a terrible cold and had to call in last Thursday! I felt like a total ass, but JP said it was ok, not like I am new to the group really. I was feeling better Friday, until Vaquita decided to bark and cry all night, completely denying me even a couple hours of sleep. My immune system crashed due to exhaustion and I am now loaded with a ass-kicking virus, clogging my sinuses and making me wish I could drill a hole into the side of one of my eye sockets and drain the pressure. :(

I am supposed to go back to the old office tomorrow to train my replacement. I don't really see what I can do in one day, but I will amuse them and go on down. Part of me wants to see all the guys, I miss them already. I was sad leaving there, I am over it now, I do not want to be sad about it again.

The next 28 days are not going to be fun. I am treating one of the horses for EPM. The treatment is a nightly dose of a medicinal paste. CJ is a piss-ant son of a bitch when I worm him every other month, so to have to do it every night is not a treat. Last night he got pissed off and reared high enough to hit the top of his stall. Oh well, I didn't feel it. I did feel the wrenching of my back as I got after him about being such a dangerous shithead. I am not going through that crap for the next month. No one else at the barn can handle him, and I do not want to handle him, stubborn beast. People wonder why I prefer mares...they have more sense for personal safety. One argument and my mare decides the fight is not worth it. I can not wait until CJ's treatments are over and he is shipped off for training. Of course, I get his mother, a rather large Thoroughbred Mare, with the same pissy attitude as her mother (whom I had for 4 years) and her son. Good times! Will someone please remind me why I love horses? I forget sometimes.....

1 comment:

gennifer6 said...

sorry to hear you were down with the sickness...there's never enough time or patience to deal with viral attacks.

You love horses because the pleasure of having them in your life always overrides the frustration some of the more difficult ones bring to you. I''ve always thought mares were tougher to handle. I do agree that they are more aware of personal safety and they're not a big chickens as the boys are, but I think they can be more temperamental and mean and they rely and react on instinct more often than trained responses, where the boys seem a birt more predictable.

Fixed boys above the age of 5 I should say. ;) Maybe training will help CJ get his head right.

Hang in there!!