Monday, December 18, 2006

All I Could Do

As I watched far too much television this weekend, I heard two quotes which I found quite inspiring. One from the Wizard of Oz, "Our hearts are not measured by how much we love, but by how much we are loved by others." The other from Rocky Balboa, "Life is not about how hard we can hit, but about how hard we can be hit and still get up and keep going."

It amazes me sometimes at what strikes me when I am watching or listening to something. As many times as I have watched The Wizard of Oz, I do not recall hearing the Wizard make that point to the Tinman. I guess right now, it means more to me than it would have in the past. I try to demonstrate my love for those around me as much as possible, yet I do not think I allow them to love me. I don't trust it, it won't last. I expect people to trust me, to believe I will not hurt them, yet do I offer the same? I don't think I do.

How hard is too hard to be hit? I think every person's opinion would differ on that topic. We all seem to think our lives are so much harder than that of others.




*************I started writing this post yesterday as I lay in bed, another sick day from work. I felt terrible, physcially and emotionally, so tired of being sick. Then, as I try to sleep and forget the pain in my head and chest, the phone rang. My Aunt called to inform my Mother and I that their Brother had passed away. At the young age of 54 years, my Uncle succumbed to his sickness. Mom did not cry, she sat silent, just looking down. I hugged her, fought back my own tears and said I was sorry for her loss. Suddenly, I would have been happy to take on the terrible headaches and coughing of this weekend, if only to take away the pain I know she was feeling. I could not though, all I could do was hug her and say I was sorry. I do not like "all I could do"...It is never enough.

No comments: