Tuesday, October 02, 2007

What's The Difference?

I honestly do not see the difference between "borrowing" money from someone, with no real intentions to pay it back, and stealing the money. I hate owing people money, including my credit card companies. How come some people do not feel guilty? Even if the money was taken from someone who has more than enough, it is still that person's money. I work for my money, if I need more, I should work harder. Now, I realize, there are extenuating circumstances that make borrowing from friends or family a necessity at the time, but to not pay the lender back is, in my opinion, shameful. My Mom offered to lend me money to help pay for all the medical expenses associated with Vaquita, but the pup was my choice and my problem. Granted I am now in a bit of financial distress, but I will fix it on my own. The worst is watching the person who borrowed the money spend any extra money that comes about later on frivolous things, rather than paying back debts...I just do not get it. No conscience, I guess. I have watched so many people fall into this "borrowing" hole, and once it starts, it never stops.

A friend of mine is dealing with this issue now with her ex-husband. He did not borrow money from her, but owes more credit agencies that I could count and because he was married to her at the time, the collection agencies are harassing my friend. I think that is so unfair. This guy just wanders around, not caring that his family is being constantly contacted about his debts. Again...where's the guilt?!

I am lucky. I have finally surrounded myself with people who are honest and trustworthy. I am with a guy who works extremely hard and accepts responsibility for all his own expenses. I have friends who, though they know I would lend them money if they needed, would never ask because they are responsible. Though I am seriously lacking in funds myself right now, it is ok because it will teach me to save more and move my money to and from different accounts to make everything balance out. I am learning from my experience and accepting great advise from those around me. It's all about learning.

No comments: